|Town of Haughton|
The U.S. Post Office in Haughton
Location of Haughton in Bossier Parish, Louisiana.
Location of Louisiana in the United States
|• Total||5.71 sq mi (14.79 km2)|
|• Land||5.71 sq mi (14.79 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||239 ft (73 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Rank||BO: 2nd|
|• Density||577.23/sq mi (222.89/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Haughton has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,454 people, 420 households, and 959 families residing in the town. The population density was 822.4 people per square mile (317.5/km2). There were 1,417 housing units in total. The racial makeup of the town was 78.2% White, 18.2% African American, 0.6% Native American, 0.420 Asian, and 1.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.5% of the population.
There were 420 households, out of which 30.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.4% were married couples living together, 16.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.2% were non-families. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the town, the population was spread out, with 29.9% under the age of 19, 6.4% from 20 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 9.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32.5 years. Females comprised 51.4% of the total population while males comprised 48.6%.
The median income for a household in the town was $46,147, and the median income for a family was $57,000. Males had a median income of $42,897 versus $26,196 for females. The per capita income for the town was $20,881.
- Dak Prescott, professional football player
- Myron Baker, linebacker for the Chicago Bears from 1993 to 1995.
- Joe Delaney, NFL player for the Kansas City Chiefs who drowned while attempting to save three children
- E. S. Dortch, planter and politician; last surviving (1943) Bossier Parish veteran of the Confederate States Army
- John A. Franks, thoroughbred racehorse breeder who won an Eclipse Award for Outstanding Owner
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 25, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Haughton town, Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Climate Summary for Haughton, Louisiana
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- United States Census American Fact Finder
- "Col. E. S. Dortch Dies at Atlanta: Bossier Veteran Who Fought Under Stonewall Jackson Succumbs". The Shreveport Times through findagrave.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.