William H. Donaldson
William H. Donaldson
|27th Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission|
February 18, 2003 – June 30, 2005
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Harvey Pitt|
|Succeeded by||Christopher Cox|
|Born||June 2, 1931|
Buffalo, New York, USA
|Spouse(s)||Jane Phillips Donaldson|
|Alma mater||Yale University (B.A.)|
Harvard University (M.B.A.)
|Occupation||former SEC chairman (retired)|
William Henry Donaldson (born June 2, 1931) was the 27th Chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), serving from February 2003 to June 2005. He served as Under Secretary of State for International Security Affairs in the Nixon Administration, as a special adviser to Vice President Nelson Rockefeller, Chairman and CEO of the New York Stock Exchange, and Chairman, President and CEO of Aetna. Donaldson founded Donaldson, Lufkin & Jenrette.
Early life and education
Donaldson returned to Yale and founded the Yale School of Management, where he served as dean and professor of management studies. Donaldson had a vision of Yale's management program forming students who could easily and seamlessly flow between public and private management roles. This was a binary vision, emphasizing private for profit corporations and government leadership positions, while ignoring leadership in various not-for-profit, non-governmental organizations. His grand visions of balanced approaches were shattered when the first graduating class almost all took positions in business, almost none taking jobs with government. The main building of the school continues to display a life-size portrait of him and the premier leadership award at Yale School of Management is called "Donaldson Fellows". He also served in the United States Marine Corps.
Donaldson is the father of three children and is married to Jane Phillips Donaldson.
- "Aetna chief: Aetna Inc. named William Donaldson chairman". Chicago Tribune. February 25, 2000.
- Linder, Karen (2012). The Women of Berkshire Hathaway: Lessons from Warren Buffett's Female CEOs and Directors. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 9781118227411. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- Robbins, Alexandra (2002). Secrets of the Tomb: Skull and Bones, the Ivy League, and the Hidden Paths of Power. Boston: Little, Brown. pp. 166, 173. ISBN 0-316-72091-7.
- "Skull And Bones: Secret Yale Society Includes America's Power Elite", CBS News, June 13, 2004
- Wall Street figure tapped to head SEC . San Francisco Chronicle, December 11, 2002
- "Private Service" address by Lee Tom Perry on issues involved in the Yale Management School formation
- Official biography at SEC website.
- "Donaldson, William H."
- "Bill Donaldson". NNDB. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- Executive Team, IEX, retrieved October 26, 2017
| Securities and Exchange Commission Chair
Charles Christopher Cox